Life's Lessons...the journey begins

I have always wanted to start a blog. Not that I feel that I have anything extrodinary to say but life is extrodinary in itself. I like to write and I often forget what happens from one day to next. This is my account. These are my life's lessons...

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Namaste

Although I made progress in February, a success it was not.  I am surprised at how quick it went by and yet glad to see it behind me.

January and February have always been a challenge for this optimist. Yes, I use a happy light and yes, I double my vitamin D but wow the heaviness I feel.  I love this beautiful state that I live in but the winter is about three months too long.  Too many Monday morning storms (aren't Mondays challenging enough), too many days of having to run indoors, too many layers and not enough sun. 

What I wanted to focus on in February (instead of my goals) was crawling into bed and staying there until spring.  However, I did manage to improve my focus and response, albeit slightly, but still some forward progress was made. I did only blog once last month but only 28 days? Where is the rest of the month?  I protest.

Happily moving into March, my month of discipline. My goals:

  • To practice piano 2.5 hours per week (however I can fit it in my schedule)
  • To make meals colorful with more fruits and veggies, decrease processed food and try to eliminate most white

I very much enjoy playing my piano but I find it similar to writing. I just need to get my butt in the chair . Once I get started, I am joyful and time passes quickly. If I am tired or down, playing piano always lifts me up; so I am choosing to do more of it.

I chose the latter goal because another thing that happens to me at the end of winter is that I feel hungry...a lot.  My clothes are a little snug, I crave comfort foods.  Most of you know that I am a vegetarian.  I pride myself in being well educated in nutrition.  I know that the main entree for a vegetarian is vegetables, not pasta or things that come out of a box.  I know the healthiest meals are the most colorful ones; full of a veggies, a little fruit and legumes with some grains or nuts tossed in. With spring right around the corner, it is time to get my food choices back in line.

I find it is easier to make good choices when I ask myself what nutritional value a specific food is going to bring to my body before I put it in my mouth.  Sometimes the answer to that is zero.  It is fairly easy not to eat things that will not be of any value whatsoever to my body. 

I will continue to work on mindfulness as well.

It is because of  love, joyful friendships and movement that these are the days. 

The light in me honors the light in you. 

Bring on the light.

2 comments:

  1. I don't recall the exact statistics, but you've got lots of company when it comes to finding the first couple months of the year the most challenging. Glad to see you're moving gracefully into March and considering it's National Nutrition Month, your second goal will probably be supported at the markets :) Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda I agree that February was a difficult month for writing. I am finding that if I have a creative moment, I write down my ideas immediately and use them for future blogs. I enjoyed this post! Namaste!

    ReplyDelete